Table 1 - Average number of prisoners in facility-based containment
* Maryborough commenced operations in March 2003
** Moreton and Wacol operated as one centre (with full closure in 2001-02)
*** Wolston commenced operations in May 1999
# 1999-00 includes 79 open prisoners located within the secure perimeter and 2000-01 includes 90 open prisoners located within the secure perimeter (ceased operations in 2001-02)
1) The annual daily average number of prisoners on hand = the sum of daily prisoner numbers divided by the number of days in the year.
2) Secure custody: a custodial facility where the regime for managing prisoners requires them to be confined by a secure perimeter physical barrier.
3) Open custody: a custodial facility where the regime for managing prisoners does not require them to be confined by a secure perimeter physical barrier irrespective of whether a physical barrier exists.
4) Community custody: a community based facility where prisoners are carefully selected and located on a full-time basis to perform community work or are released by a community corrections board to be under more direct supervision.
Department of Corrective Services
Annual Report 2003-04